Wednesday, May 1, 2019

A Soldier's Prayer read by Anna at Milton Home

A Soldier’s Prayer

(found on the body of an American Soldier during World War I)
Lord God I have never spoken to you,
But now I want to say how do you do?
You see God they told me you didn’t exist,
And like a fool I believed all this.
Last night from a shell hole I saw your sky,
I figured right then they had told me a lie.
Had I taken time to see the things you’ve made,
I’d have known they weren’t calling a spade, a spade.
I wonder God if you’ll take my hand?
Somehow I feel that you will understand.
Funny how I had to come to this hellish place,
Before I had time to see your face.
Well I guess there isn’t much more to say,
But I’m sure glad God I met you today.
I guess the zero hour will soon be here,
But I’m not afraid since I know you’re near.
The signal, well God I have to go,
I like you lots, this I want you to know.
Look now this’ll be a horrible fight,
Who knows I may come to your house tonight.
Though I wasn’t friendly to you before,
I wonder God if you’d wait at your door?
Look I’m crying, Me, shedding tears,
I wish I had known you these many years.
Well, I have to go now God, good-bye.
Strange now since I’ve met you,
I’m not afraid to die.
- Author Unknown -

No comments: